CCSPCA Communications Consultant
October 18, 2023 – As Halloween approaches, CCSPCA is issuing the following safety tips to keep pets, especially dogs, safe.
- If your pet plans to wear a costume, ensure it fits comfortably and does not interfere with your pet’s vision, ability to walk, mouth, or hearing.
- Take time to get your pet accustomed to wearing the costume before Halloween and please do not leave them unattended when wearing it.
- Keep lit candles and jack-o-lanterns out of reach for your pets.
- Keep glowsticks and glow jewelry away from your pet. While the liquid inside is most likely non-toxic, it tastes bad and may make them salivate more than usual.
- If you expect trick-or-treaters this year, put your pet in another room, so trick-or-treaters don’t scare them or so they don’t try to escape via an open door.
- Make sure your cats and dogs have identification tags with up-to-date information.
- Take a current photo of all your cats and dogs.
- If your pet does go missing, please contact your local animal shelter.
As the premier animal welfare organization in California’s Central Valley, CCSPCA is committed to leading and serving our community of animals and people by providing programs and services that serve all the stages of an animal’s life. For more information, visit CCSPCA.com.