State Center Community College District Board approves move to downtown Fresno

The 12-story, former Guarantee building in downtown Fresno will be home to SCCCD’s new District Office. (Photo: Local Register of Historic Resources)

State Center Community College District is making moves.

At its March 6 meeting, the SCCCD Board of Trustees unanimously approved the $10,685,000 purchase of the former Guarantee Savings building, a 12-story, 82,000 square-foot office building located at 1177 Fulton Street in downtown Fresno.

“This is an exciting time for State Center Community College District,” said SCCCD Chancellor Paul Parnell. “We are pleased to contribute to the revitalization of downtown Fresno in bringing our District office under one roof. It’s helping the city, it’s helping us and we value that partnership.

About 30 percent of the funds to purchase the building will come from a capital project reserve fund and the and the remaining 70 percent will come from Measure C, a $485 million facilities improvement bond approved in 2016.

Included in the purchase is a 642-stall parking structure adjacent to the building. Relocating the District Office into one location will allow the Fresno City College campus to expand for parking and its new science facility, which are projects funded though Measure C.

The relocation will also expand the number of stalls on FCC’s campus while reducing the number of needed stalls that are currently being utilized by district office employees. In addition, it will free up parking and allow more classes to be held at the Herndon campus.


A native of Woodlake, Daniel Leon is a recent graduate of Fresno State with a degree in Mass Communication and Journalism. Daniel served as Sports Editor at The Collegian, Fresno State’s student-run newspaper, prior to joining the Roundup. Got a story idea? Email him at